A Picture of Health: determining a hospital’s population health needs : Chelsea and Westminster FT, Imperial College, London
- Hospitals don’t usually have defined geographic populations to whom they provide services: patients may attend from anywhere, without being geographically constrained.
- Identifying their core catchment population enables hospitals to proactively engage with health improvement by identifying and addressing community health needs, rather than just treating presenting patients.
- This pilot sought to:
- identify an appropriate method to define a catchment population using Chelsea and Westminster Hospital NHS Foundation Trust (CWFT) as an example;
- apply publically-available datasets to the resulting catchment to identify key health needs;
- explore the value and usability of the method, including possible areas for implementation.